My beloved Kentucky Wildcats are typically subjected to an annual demolition at the hands of Urban Meyer's Florida Gators, but, despite this, I don't hate Meyer all that much. He's brought a couple national crowns to the SEC, and, in so doing, made the Big Ten and Big 12 look like the pretenders that they are.
The guy's a great coach, no denying it, but a few things of late, for me, hint that he's a jerk. The latest is this "half-game" suspension for Brandon Spikes, Meyer's All-America linebacker who tried to gouge out the eyes of a Georgia player during the Gators blowout win on Saturday.
I understand that crap happens during the game that is pretty dirty and that we don't see. I played a little rugby and getting raked at the bottom of a ruck is pretty much par for the course. Cheap shots, all that...whatever. I'm not too concerned about it, but anyone who does it knows the consequences, which is generally some kind of suspension. But Meyer's docked him half a game for the gouging, which is weak. And not because it should be two games or three, but simply because one game is so little that it makes pretty transparent that Meyer could not care less about suspension, discipline, or even really participating in the charade that a token suspending or disciplining would be.
Also, they're playing Vandy. You mean the number one team in the country can't beat Vandy with Spikes on the bench? Please.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment